Talent Show Results

Posted: May 7, 2014 in Archery, School & Life
Tags: ,

WARNING: This post may be slightly long, but it’s worth the read. This actually might be my longest post ever.

Friday, May 2nd, 2014 – The day of my high school’s talent show. Before I get onto that, I’ll tell you about the day before, Thursday. So, in my 1st period class, I have a friend in there that, when we work on papers, I always work with (she’s also that friend that I have to protect). I don’t remember exactly, but I think we were working on papers, but my friend and I had already gotten ours done. So, while the rest of the class worked to finish it up, I went back to where she was to hang out and talk. That’s when I told her about the previous day. What I did was, I first told her about me looking on the acts list, and she said, “So, what, you didn’t make it?” She had a very concerned and upset look on her face. “I’m getting to that,” I said. So, then I told her about talking with the president and the committee voting me back in the show, and after that she was relieved. You might not believe it, but she was actually talking about doing some pretty not-so-good things if I really hadn’t made it into the show, so it really is a good thing I was able to get back in. Now then, I don’t really remember anything else that happened that day, so I’ll go ahead and tell you about that fateful day (Friday).

This past Friday, the day of the moment of truth was upon me at last. Friday itself during school was a generally good day. This time, I’m just going to skip ahead to the end of the day. So, after school was out, I did the usual of meeting up with my friend I’m protecting and walking out with her and her boyfriend to make sure a certain friend of mine didn’t get any ideas about messing with her (if you’ve read any of my past few posts you should know what I’m talking about). I don’t know why it was, but it took a little longer than usual for their bus to get there (which caused me to be pretty late to archery practice), so I was out there awhile. As their bus finally came, I asked them both if they were going to come to the show and watch me perform before a live crowd for the first time, and they said yes, if things worked out. As my friend was getting on her bus, right before she disappeared, I sort of yelled, “Don’t forget, you promised you’d come!” After they left, I walked to the gym for archery, and to prepare myself for the talent show.

And so, after arriving at practice, everyone else was already shooting, of course, so I waited behind the line while everyone finished up. When my freshman friend, the one that gave me that really nice hug that Wednesday, came back and saw me, she said, “archerpoet!” and came up to give me a hug, then I asked her how she was doing. After that, I joined everyone and shot. Oh, and here’s on awesome detail: on that day, I finally shot my first 50! What an awesome practice, right? After it was over, I walked to where the show would take place. When I first went over, I talked to one of my archery friends who was also in the show, performing dance. I don’t remember much of what happened after I did that when I first went over, but, like everyone else, I spent a lot of time backstage. Before we were getting ready to open the show, all the singers gathered around in a singing circle, and, of course, we all sang parts of a song, either the one we were performing, or a different one. When it finally came time for me to sing, I admit I was a little hesitant at first. However, there were a lot of great people there, and they all encouraged me to sing, so after about a minute, I was able to gather all my courage and do it. I sang the first part of the song I was going to sing in the show, and everyone said I was good. One person even came up to me and said I shouldn’t be hesitant to let people hear my voice, to just go out there and sing. And, you know what? That surprisingly increased my confidence level. A lot. After that, I was so ready to go, I couldn’t wait to get on stage!

Before the show started, I grabbed a program, which was basically a brochure telling about the show and all the acts, and I found out I was going to be the 4th act, which is pretty early in the show. The whole time I was waiting, I kept peeking out at the crowd to see if my friends had come yet, because I knew if they didn’t show up soon, they would miss me. I just kept waiting, but then I couldn’t take it, so I texted her, and she said they were coming soon and asked me when I went on, but here’s a shocker: she didn’t text me back until after I’d already performed. Yep, and because of them not being there when I was about to go on, I didn’t think I would be able to do it, but I knew it was something I had to go through with, whether they were there or not. So, miraculously, I was able to go out there and, when the music started, sing without hesitation in front of everyone! And I guess I did pretty good, because everyone was telling me I was good. After that, I went behind the curtain, and passed out on the floor and covered my face with my fedora, which I wore for the show. After a couple minutes, the president said to me, “archerpoet, you can’t be up here now. Are you just going to sleep back there?” I said, “I wasn’t sleeping, I was just thinking about different stuff.” So, after that, I went backstage and thought about just sitting down, but then I decided to go out and wait for my friends to come.

Okay, so you remember how she asked me when I’d be on? Well, I said I’d tell her when she got there. I just, didn’t have the heart to tell her she’d already missed me through a text. So, I was thinking, I’ll just have to own up and face them when they get here. I waited outside for nearly an hour, and they still hadn’t shown up. It started to get cold out, so I went inside, grabbed my jacket, and came back out. After that, I texted her again to ask her where they were. I can’t really describe how I felt right then, I just knew I was really worried, thinking, Surely if she can’t make it, she’ll text me, right? I waited a few minutes, and I actually started crying a bit, because I was so scared she might not text me back, and, me being who I am and with what I’ve been through, that would’ve hurt me deeply. After that I decided to go back in, and, wouldn’t you know it, I got back just in time because they were getting ready to announce the winners. I didn’t win, but it was an experience that I needed. Also, everyone did get certificates of participation. And also, thank God my friend did text me back. Even if it was after the show, I was so glad. So, the night I thought was going to end sadly actually turned out pretty darn good. This past Monday, when I saw her in 1st period, she apologized for not being able to make it, and I did tell her what happened (well, not everything), but I said it was alright. Then, I promised her that she would definitely hear me sing one day. That’s a promise I intend to keep no matter what.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s